THE SUBCONSCIOUS MIND

Your subconscious mind accounts for about 90% of your mind and the conscious mind, the remaining 10%.  Although it is our conscious mind which makes decisions and decides what to reject or accept, it is our subconscious mind which largely controls our lives.  Your subconscious mind controls your emotions and your body language, and your habits are also held at a subconscious level.  In short, your subconscious decides your level of success and happiness because anything which controls your emotions, also controls your happiness.

Happiness is actually a by-product of being in a predominantly positive emotional state. For example, if your most dominant emotions were love, faith, hope, enthusiasm or romance, you would be a very happy person most of the time.  The flip side is that your subconscious mind can also work against you if you are operating in a negative emotional state. For example, if you were constantly suffering from emotions such as greed, anger, hatred, fear, lust, jealousy or revenge, then happiness would be impossible. Why?  Because negative and positive emotions cannot co-exist. One or the other must dominate.

Although the subconscious mind is by far the more powerful of the two parts of your mind, the irony is that it doesn’t think for itself and is non-intelligent. It has no reasoning of its own and operates out of habit and responds to what you feed it. Your subconscious doesn’t care whether you succeed or fail, it doesn’t care whether you are happy or unhappy, rich or poor, it is a neutral powerhouse which simply obeys what you tell it and is affected by everything which reaches it through your five senses.  Your subconscious is a bit like a computer.  If you google something, your computer won’t say”I don’t think you should read that, it might make you unhappy”, it simply does what you tell it to do. So the good news is that your subconscious mind can be indirectly controlled, so that it can begin to work for you instead of against you.

Things which are within your control (and affect your subconscious mind) are what you read, what you listen to, who you associate with, your own words, and also your actions.  Your actions also create emotions, and no amount of conscious effort can get rid of an emotion. For example, if you stole something (a negative action) this would cause a negative emotion; guilt. No amount of conscious thinking will get rid of the guilt. Obviously stealing is NOT recommended, as this is just an example. But instead of stealing, suppose you were a generous and gave some money to charity. (a positive action) this would then cause positive emotions and you would be happy. So if you want to have emotional control, then it is vital to control your actions aswell, as these directly affect your subconscious mind and your emotional state.

For example, if you were in a negative emotional state, such as suffering from guilt, then do not try to directly get rid of the guilt because you can’t. It’s futile and won’t work. The conscious mind is not powerful enough to get rid of the guilt because emotions are subconscious. The only way to get rid of the guilt (or any negative emotion) is to look at the behaviour which caused it in the first place, then change the behaviour. Then you will change your emotional state.